Competition between camera lens (daughter) and telescope (me) . . . #iEXOS-100 #astrophotography

Jim Norwood

Having just bought my first equatorial goto tracking mount only a couple months ago (iXOS-100), the learning curve has been pretty steep. But soon enough, it seemed some better glass was in order for my DSLR and my daughter's DSLR.

She bought a 200-500mm Nikon, and I bought an AT72EDii. Friday we traveled from our Bortle 7ish skies to the club's observatory in Bortle 4ish skies.

She took over the mount (because, well, I went off and left my fancy new telescope on the kitchen cabinet). (sigh)

Considering we're both relative astro-newbies, I think she did quite well!

30 30-second subs, ISO 1600, Nikon D750, Nikon 200-500mm lens at 500mm, f5.6. Stacked and processed in Photoshop.

Some day I'll get another chance to use the mount with my new telescope and the competition will play out.

Orion Nebula

brian skinner

Very nice Jim. I'm hoping for similar soon!
I'm just also learning about photo stacking and currently use Sequator but it is a bit limited, can you stack with Photoshop? And I've heard its complicated?????
Kind regards, Brian

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020, 21:58 Jim Norwood, <J.Norwood@...> wrote:

Having just bought my first equatorial goto tracking mount only a couple months ago (iXOS-100), the learning curve has been pretty steep. But soon enough, it seemed some better glass was in order for my DSLR and my daughter's DSLR.

She bought a 200-500mm Nikon, and I bought an AT72EDii. Friday we traveled from our Bortle 7ish skies to the club's observatory in Bortle 4ish skies.

She took over the mount (because, well, I went off and left my fancy new telescope on the kitchen cabinet). (sigh)

Considering we're both relative astro-newbies, I think she did quite well!

30 30-second subs, ISO 1600, Nikon D750, Nikon 200-500mm lens at 500mm, f5.6. Stacked and processed in Photoshop.

Some day I'll get another chance to use the mount with my new telescope and the competition will play out.

Orion Nebula

Skull HQX

Edited

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 10:37 AM, brian skinner wrote:
I'm just also learning about photo stacking and currently use Sequator but it is a bit limited, can you stack with Photoshop? And I've heard its complicated?????

Photoshop has it's place in the 'pipeline' but isn't really good at automatic stacking and registering.

You will need something like DeepSkyStacker (Windows) or Siril (Linux and MacOS) to turn your images into a stack other software can process further.
I can recommend StarTools which is multi-platform and uses a very smart method of noise reduction nothing else uses. It has quite a steep learning curve though. There are many other options.

Regards

Chris Tardif

Check out the processing guide and videos on astrobackyard....he does a good job of showing how to stack in both.

--
Mounts: Explore Scientific IEXOS-100 w Celestron CG5 tripod, iOptron CEM 40
Scopes: Explore Scientific FCD-100 ED-102CF, Various Canon lenses, ZWO mini-guidescope, StarField 60mm guide-scope.

Jim Norwood

brian skinner
3:37am

Very nice Jim. I'm hoping for similar soon!
I'm just also learning about photo stacking and currently use Sequator but it is a bit limited, can you stack with Photoshop? And I've heard its complicated?????
Kind regards, Brian
Thanks, Brian. My daughter processed this one. She has the full-blown Photoshop subscription. I only have Photoshop Elements. I've stacked a couple with DeepSkyStacker since my version of Photoshop is limited and won't do it (I think). She says Photoshop is not terribly complicated, but she also said it doesn't seem to allow for "darks" and "bias" frames and such. So from that, I'm assuming that something like DSS is a better stacking option.

jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>

Good day Jim,

I would recommend using Sequator for stacking.   I have looked at DSS, but it forces me to think too much.   Once Sequator allows for flats, I will be happy.

I think either her focus is off or she has some serious CA.  But she should have a lens profile to correct for chromatic abberations.

Well, now you know, next make a checklist before you leave.  I was so looking forward to the results of the competition and lens distortion.  I am team Canon, so I don’t know much regarding Nikons.

JR

Having just bought my first equatorial goto tracking mount only a couple months ago (iXOS-100), the learning curve has been pretty steep. But soon enough, it seemed some better glass was in order for my DSLR and my daughter's DSLR.

She bought a 200-500mm Nikon, and I bought an AT72EDii. Friday we traveled from our Bortle 7ish skies to the club's observatory in Bortle 4ish skies.

She took over the mount (because, well, I went off and left my fancy new telescope on the kitchen cabinet). (sigh)

Considering we're both relative astro-newbies, I think she did quite well!

30 30-second subs, ISO 1600, Nikon D750, Nikon 200-500mm lens at 500mm, f5.6. Stacked and processed in Photoshop.

Some day I'll get another chance to use the mount with my new telescope and the competition will play out.

Orion Nebula

brian skinner

Many thanks Skull

On Tue, 28 Jan 2020, 14:13 Skull HQX, <skullhqx@...> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 10:37 AM, brian skinner wrote:
I'm just also learning about photo stacking and currently use Sequator but it is a bit limited, can you stack with Photoshop? And I've heard its complicated?????

Photoshop has it's place in the 'pipeline' but isn't really good at automatic stacking and registering.

You will need something like DeepSkyStakker (Windows) or Siril (Linux and MacOS) to turn your images into a stack other software can process further.
I can recommend StarTools which is multi-platform and uses a very smart method of noise reduction nothing else uses. It has quite a steep learning curve though. There are many other options.

Regards

brian skinner

Thanks Chris

On Tue, 28 Jan 2020, 14:24 Chris Tardif, <christardif@...> wrote:
Check out the processing guide and videos on astrobackyard....he does a good job of showing how to stack in both.

--
Mounts: Explore Scientific IEXOS-100 w Celestron CG5 tripod, iOptron CEM 40
Scopes: Explore Scientific FCD-100 ED-102CF, Various Canon lenses, ZWO mini-guidescope, StarField 60mm guide-scope.
Camera: ASI120MM Mini (mono), Altair GPCAM 130
Control PC: Intel NUC
Loc: 44 -79

brian skinner

Thanks Jim

On Tue, 28 Jan 2020, 15:32 Jim Norwood, <J.Norwood@...> wrote:
brian skinner
3:37am   #379

Very nice Jim. I'm hoping for similar soon!
I'm just also learning about photo stacking and currently use Sequator but it is a bit limited, can you stack with Photoshop? And I've heard its complicated?????
Kind regards, Brian
Thanks, Brian. My daughter processed this one. She has the full-blown Photoshop subscription. I only have Photoshop Elements. I've stacked a couple with DeepSkyStacker since my version of Photoshop is limited and won't do it (I think). She says Photoshop is not terribly complicated, but she also said it doesn't seem to allow for "darks" and "bias" frames and such. So from that, I'm assuming that something like DSS is a better stacking option.

Jim Norwood

Thanks, JR. I was thinking of looking into Sequator. I'll definitely do that now.
I passed your information/advice along to my daughter, and she says thanks as well and will look into the lens profile issue.

Jim

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 07:53 PM, jrichard333 <jrichard333@...> wrote:

Good day Jim,

I would recommend using Sequator for stacking.   I have looked at DSS, but it forces me to think too much.   Once Sequator allows for flats, I will be happy.

I think either her focus is off or she has some serious CA.  But she should have a lens profile to correct for chromatic abberations.

Well, now you know, next make a checklist before you leave.  I was so looking forward to the results of the competition and lens distortion.  I am team Canon, so I don’t know much regarding Nikons.

JR

jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>

You are welcome Jim.

I hope you win, but the odds may not be in your favor J.  Hmmm….let’s see?

Only specs I am interesting in J :

Nikon 200-500mm lens;  aperture 90mm@ 500mm; focal ratio f/5.6.

AT72EDII Triplet Refractor :  aperture 72mm@430mm; focal ratio f/6

Side note:  AT72EDII has FPL-53 glass.  This is pretty good

If your daughter plays fair, and let’s be honest, how many daughters play fair when competing against their fathers; it didn’t happen in the “Father of the Bride” starring Steve Martin.  If she uses 500mm, she will win totally based on resolving power and limiting magnitude.

If she plays fair and uses a FL of 430mm, she will slightly win regarding resolving power and limiting magnitude.

The only whimper of a hope is the FPL53 glass which is supposedly made of a higher quality.   I don’t think Nikon or Canon were designing their lenses for astrophotography.

Good luck Sir J and may the odds forever be in your favor.

JR