Next Step - Scope or Guiding #iEXOS-100 #astrophotography

bill rowe

I've been shooting with a Canon t3i and a 200mm takumar lens.  I'm now connecting via ascom serial and using stellarium, astrotortilla for plate solving, and BYEOS for imaging.

I can do decent alignment and 1-2 minute subs although I do see some star distortion in some shots. The Takumar delivers decent pictures but certainly shows some CA and 200mm is pretty short for smaller DSO's.

I have a birthday coming up and i was considering a doublet refractor around 400mm.  It occurs to me though that maybe my images would just get worse without guiding.  Should I get a small guiding setup? What would that cost?

I've attached a 60 second sub of M13 to show the kind of star distortion I've been seeing.  This is a close crop but a 400mm scope would have a similar fov

Chris Tardif

I would absolutely go guiding as your next step.

I have the ZWO Mini Guide Camera: https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/product/asi120mm-mini-mono
and the guide scope: https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/product/zwo-minguider-scope

Works great.

--
Mounts: Explore Scientific IEXOS-100 w Celestron CG5 tripod, iOptron CEM 40
Scopes: Explore Scientific FCD-100 ED-102CF, Various Canon lenses, ZWO mini-guidescope, StarField 60mm guide-scope.

Bill,

Yes, you probably should guide.

You're in Ottawa?  Take a look at Ontario Tel.  Prices (for Canada...) are decent, and I've found Steve good to deal with.

https://www.ontariotelescope.com/Cameras_c_258.html

https://www.ontariotelescope.com/Guidescopes_c_257.html

Lots of folks like the ZWO's, but I ended up with Altairs.  Started with an IMX224C, thought the better of it and changed to a 290M. Currently using a ZWO 60mm guidescope.

Do take a look at your guide ratio and try to get it below 1:3

Hope this helps...

- Bob