Re: Exos 2 PMC8 telescope size #EXOS2

jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>

Howdy,

Just so you know up front, I mostly do planetary imaging.  I’ve dabbled a

little into DSOs.

I don’t think it’s the mount.  The EXOS-2GT PMC8 can hold a lot of weight.

I’ve seen it handle over 80Ibs (36kg).  I have an iEXOS-100 with the  ST3

tripod legs and it can easily handle 20Ibs (9.1kg) and the rating for this mount

is a lot less.   Just make sure you are balanced and you should be fine once

you develop new settings for PHD2.

You will have to start over using PHD2 (settings, etc.); why, you are going from:

1.        a small foot print (ED80) to a larger foot print (200dps) scope

2.        a shorter focal length (480mm) to a longer focal length (1000mm)

Higher focal lengths make alignment a bit more critical and then you have to

consider wind causing the scope to move a bit which can results in errors as

well.  Don’t forget about seeing conditions as well.

a 50mm finderscope should be ok.  I will be using a 30mm guidescope on a

C90 after planetary season ends this year.

You might want to download the beta version of PHD2, which allows for multiple

guide stars.

I would make sure my stars are very sharp in my guidescope.

JR