From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io> on behalf of Robert Hoskin <devonshire@...>
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 1:48:47 PM
To: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] Exos 2 PMC8 telescope size #EXOS2

Kevin,

When I was using my refractor for imaging, my rule was basically:  balance first, then bias weight to RA: East-heavy and DEC: camera-heavy.  For the 130, I've carried that forward as East-heavy, Primary-heavy.  The EXOS-2 will always balance a bit lopsided, thanks to that DEC motor, but there's no point fighting that.

My suspicion (once I'm done fooling with other things), is that I will find that due to increased sail area, I'll need to bias East-heavy, more aggressively than I did with the refractor.  Remains to be proven, so just "FWIW".

The other thing I have just started to do is take Jerry's advice on polar alignment, and leave some deliberate error.  This (combined with weight bias), to try to force DEC to guide in one direction, and minimize backlash effects.  I had already reduced PHD2's sensitivity for DEC, as it had become clear that corrections on one axis could sometimes induce errors and corrections in the other, leading to back-and-forth between them.  The seeing in my location is not great, so for me, at least, less guiding is more (and yes, multi-star PHD2 is a good thing).

Hope this helps.

- Bob

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2, Serial
Scopes: SW 130P-DS, SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide