NEW Updated (Fixed) Android ExploreStars Application APK File Available for Download #ExploreScientific #ExploreStars #Android

The Updated (Fixed) version of the Android ExploreStars APK is now available on our Software and Downloads Webpage.
You will see the link to the new APK download in the Welcome to ExploreStars section near the top of the page.

ExploreStars Software & Database Downloads – PMC-Eight System Download — Explore Scientific LLC (explorescientificusa.com)

Here is the link to the file itself:

https://02d3287.netsolhost.com/pmc-eight/ExploreStars31_20210718.zip

I wanted to get this out to everyone while we are waiting for the program to be updated on the Google Store and Amazon Store.
This version has a couple of minor updates to improve pointing performance and a change to simplify the installation.

There is no longer a need to install the database separately using a separate database file. The APK and the store download will be the only file to download and install and contains the complete database. The previous version requiring a separate file loaded on your microSD card was the source of the problem with Android version 10 and 11. These versions put more restrictions and size limits on storing data on the microSD card so the database was moved to internal storage to correct that issue. This new version (Build 31) also applies the precession calculation correctly when calculating the JNOW RADEC star coordinates and displays the correct JNOW values now. This can cause some confusion if you are referencing another stellar database along with using Explore Stars.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused those customers who recently purchased an Android device with version 10 or 11 installed, I know it was a PITA.
Please post any comments or questions you may have.

Thanks again for your support of the PMC-Eight system and your contributions to the OpenGOTO Community.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data