locked Re: How to start guiding #astrophotography

Steve Siedentop

You’ll need a computer running autoguiding software.  Some folks like the ZWO ASI Air.  Others like to roll their own similar setup with AstroBerry and a cheap RaspberryPi.  Both run a flavor of Linux and INDI.  ASI Air is a commercial implementation of INDI.  I prefer to use a Windows 10 mini computer and I use PHD2 for auto guiding and Sequence Generator Pro for imaging.  Some folks like to use N.I.N.A.  I’m doing everything in Windows 10, so my setup depends on the ASCOM driver.

When I set up, I don’t use Explore Stars.  I make sure my physical alignment is solid.  That means a good polar alignment.  I also use a level to center my RA and Dec axes in that order.  Then, I plate solve to center my target rather than relying on a multi star alignment.  The multi star alignment is a pointing model and is independent of polar alignment, which determines tracking accuracy.  Get good at polar alignment and your guiding should be uneventful.

Hope this helps!

-Steve

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 12:50 PM Euan Milne <euan_milne@...> wrote:
Folks

I looking into the possibilities of getting into guiding, currently looking at getting the ZWO120 mini and 30mm guide scope, this is to be used with the IEXOS-100,  600mm lens and dlsr.

What would be the setup procedure, do I still need to use use Explorestars? If not how do I do the 3 star alignment and goto?

Pls help

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 IEXOS-100
Scopes: TAL-1

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11 with Ruland Couplers and One Piece Worm Blocks, Skywatcher NEQ-6
Scopes: ES ED127CF FCD100, Orion 6” Mak, Stellarvue SV80EDT, Coronado Solarmax 40