If you Google “finding Polaris” you will find  a series of images like this one:

Polaris is the only bright star you’ll see in that direction from Merak & Dubhe.

Or, if you can work out what direction is north, from a street map of your neighbourhood, just look north. Polaris will be roughly halfway between the northern horizon and the point directly above you (a bit higher if you’re in a northern latitude, lower if you’re further south).

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 at 17:02, Vance LaSalle <vancelasalle@...> wrote:
Yep  I have Stellarium on my iPad, and star chart, however locating it is another story all together..

-------- Original message --------
From: Ian Morison <ian@...>
Date: 2021-08-20 11:56 a.m. (GMT-05:00)
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] Finding the north star

Hi Vance,
   the two bright stars at the right hand side of the big dipper, Merak and Dubhe act as pointers - just extend the line beyond Dubhe until you find a bright star.  That should be Polaris.
Download Stellarium (free) onto a computer to see where things are.
Cheers,
Ian

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 4:44 PM Vance LaSalle <vancelasalle@...> wrote:
Is there a new user  group that I can get a link to I'm? I'm a little challenged when locating the north star. I'm pretty sure that I can see the big dipper but not the little dipper to get Polaris..