Re: !

Hi Jerry,

Thanks!  No worries, that was intended as general, even if it didn't come out that way.   Your arm remains untwisted!   :-)

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021, at 19:15, Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering wrote:
On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 03:34 PM, Robert Hoskin wrote:

I expect that vendors with ASCOM drivers were likely testing more against DH as well, so perhaps some accommodations for different behaviors were also made.
Hi Bob,

I always like your take on things and the great work you have done over the years with your EXOS 2 but I have to disagree with you on this statement, at least as it applies to my development of the PMC-Eight ASCOM Driver. The standard for performance and functionality is not the Device Hub, it is the comprehensive driver testing tool Conform which tests how well the driver conforms to the platform API in terms of response and performance. Since day one, the PMC-Eight ASCOM driver was always released after passing the then current version of the conformance tool. You can download it from the ASCOM standards website and test your mount yourself if you want to see how comprehensive it is. This tool provides the reference standard for behavior.

If the driver passes all the conformance tool tests yet fails in some respect when using the Device Hub, then the problem is in the Device Hub and should be fixed. There should (Shall!) be no adjusting (fudging) the behavior of the driver to accommodate the Device Hub. That is my position and it would take a lot of arm twisting for me to change my mind on that, LOL!

--
Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2, Serial
Scopes: SW 130P-DS, SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide
Cameras:  Nikon D5300, Altair GPCAM2 290M
Software: ASCOM 6.3, CdC, AstroTortilla, BYN Pro, Sharpcap, PHD2
Computer:  Thinkpad x230, Win7Pro/64

Join MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.