Re: PMC-EIGHT

Harry

Hi Don & Wes,
I have been following your discussion, and here are a few comments, if I may.
I have the iExos 100 PMC Eight mount. Initially, I used it very successfully with the ExploreStars app on my iPad. This was for visual and limited astrophotography with my dslr. GoTo and tracking were generally good. As I understand it, ExploreStars was initially intended for visual use.

Later, as I wanted more astrophotography capabilities, and not wanting to use a laptop, I got an ASIair Pro. I have been very happy with its performance and compatibility with the iExos 100 mount. On page 14 of the ASIair App manual, it says to “keep tracking enabled”. I have always done this and my goto and tracking have been excellent.
Since acquiring the Pro, I no longer use ExploreStars.

I guess my point is, ExploreStars and the Air both are both able to control a PMC mount. They are meant to do two different things, and how they do this I don’t know. I don’t know if one or the other are “more accurate “ than the other. To me they seem mutually exclusive. I don’t think you can (or should) use both simultaneously. If the mount is being controlled by the Air, ExploreStars is not involved.

I would be very interested Wes, in your input.
--
Harry

Mounts: ES iExos 100-PMC Eight, ST3 Tripod

Guide: ZWO 30mm Mini, ZWO ASI120MM-Mini
Software: ASIair Pro, iPad Pro, MacOS, Affinity Photo, SkySafari Plus
Cameras: ZWO 533MC Pro, Nikon D5500 (UV/IR Mod), D600
Misc: Rokinon 135mm F2 Lens, ES USB Power Bank
Filters:  Optolong L-Pro, L-eNhance