Re: Telescope Recommendations #iEXOS-100

Captain Haddock

While I don't have this mount yet, I have a Skywatcher 72ED doublet. It weighs about 4 pounds and I'm happy with it. I used it for occasional visual viewing as well. It does show some chromatic aberration (occasionally blue stars) in pictures.

Check out the refractors by Astrotech. They appear well reviewed, and without the premium pricing of a William Optics.

Also keep in mind that refractors at your intended focal length will require a field flattener (or else, you will have to crop out all but the center of your picture). I bought one from Orion that costs about $130 (again, the cheapest one I could find). It works well, but factor that into your budget.

On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 12:01 PM Godfrey B <godash23@...> wrote:
Hi all!

It's getting close to Christmas, and so far, I'm loving the iEXOS-100. Now I want to move forward with replacing my camera lens with an actual telescope. There's so many options on the market, so I'm having some trouble picking which one works. At the minimum, I'm looking for a refractor that can sit well with the base tripod; a widefield focal length (300mm+) with a budget close to 800$. At the time of me writing this, I was looking over the SharpStar 61EDPH II, but Cuiv's recent video about the refractor and chromatic aberration is giving me second thoughts. I was also looking at the Zenithstar 61, and the focal length is good, but the price point is extremely close to budget. If any of you can, I would love to hear what your thoughts are along with pictures of the set-up and any recommendations (either what was listed or otherwise).

Hoping to hear from you all soon!
--

Godfrey Benjamin
Mount: IEXOS-100 with Polar Scope