Re: Question from a prospective buyer: networking

r_hoskin@...

Joe,

My Nikon D5300 will support a wifi connection, and when I was researching how best to integrate all this kit for AP, the advice I ran into was that for astrophotography use, it should be disabled.  This for the very good reason that it's an additional source of heat within the camera.  Someone running on battery might also care about power consumption.  So I live with cables...

One of my requirements was portability, so I sourced a small laptop for scope control. I serial-attach the PMC-8, and USB-attach the camera, etc.  The laptop runs all the control programs: POTH, CdC, BYN, Sharpcap, and AstroTortilla.  It's self-sufficient if I were to take it somewhere dark, but while in my back yard and in reach of my home router, I can manage it remotely from a laptop in my den with TightVNC.

Hope this helps...

- Bob