Re: Question from a prospective buyer: All Star Polar Alignment

Michael Fulbright

You can get a lifetime subscription for Sharpcap for much less than a pole master.  If you already have a setup with a camera supported by Sharpcap it is a much better solution imho.

I use Sharpcap to polar align with these camera/telescope combinations:

- ASI120MM-S and 50mm guide scope @200mm focal length (FOV ~ 2 deg)
- ASI1600MM and 70mm imaging scope @ f/4.8 (FOV ~3 deg)
- ASI1600MM and 8 inch f/4 imaging Newtonian (FOV ~1.5deg)

I really don't see a scenario if you have a imaging or guiding setup with a degree FOV or larger where you'd need to spend money on a pole master.  I'd invest the money in your guiding solution instead.

Michael Fulbright

On 6/22/2018 5:42 PM, Steve Siedentop sdsiedentop@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

I believe the catch is the pricing is a subscription.  If you already have a camera that will work with it, it’s definitely cheaper in general than a Polemaster.

-Steve

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 5:08 PM chris_moses@... [ESPMC-Eight] <ESPMC-Eight@...> wrote:

Sharpcap PA is Nice!  I'm trying to decide if I prefer it to the PoleMaster.  It's certainly cheaper, $15 vs $250