Re: Installing com.explorescientific.explorestars.apk

Steve Siedentop

Hi Peter -

Yes, the APK is the application file that gets installed when you download it from the Google Play store.  APK stands for Android Package Kit and is a file format used by the Android platform for the distribution and installation of mobile apps.

The installation of the database is a separate process and involves getting the files onto an SD card using a Windows, Mac, or Linux device.

I'd like to see us get to the point where the application downloads and installs the database on its own, probably limited to WiFi connections as it's not a small set of data.  Until we get there, Chris Moses wrote a Windows application that will take care of that for you, but it does require a Windows machine.

Instructions from Chris (also available at https://groups.io/g/ESPMC-Eight/files/User%20Contributions/ExploreStars%20DB%20Installer%20Instructions.txt in the Files -> User Contributions section)

ExploreStars DB Installer Instructions

1. Download the installer from: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtOwX6zN-JCxi_ARtDULDCtd-KoBcg
2. Run the installer
3. Select windows or SD card
4. Wait a few seconds for the files to be extracted

The ExploreStars DB should now be installed.

Let me know if the there are issues by posting a question or comment to the Yahoo groups forum.

Thanks,
Chris Moses

Hope this helps...

-Steve