Re: USB adapter for PMC-8

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Bob,  thanks for your decision to buy a PMC-Eight system. I looked at the adapter you have specified on this webpage:  https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Serial-Cards-Adapters/1-Port-USB-Serial-RS232-Adapter-Cable~ICUSB2321F and it should do the trick. The chip it is using is the pretty much the same one in the adapter I use from Parallax: https://www.parallax.com/product/28031.

It's interesting that the one you picked says in the spec that the baud rate is limited as you said to 115200. I expect that if it uses the generic FTDI driver, you can set the baud rate higher, but as you suspect, it might not be reliable That is not the case with the Parallax adapter. Also the one you picked on the webpage I found is $10 more. You didn't say how much the one you found was, but you shouldn't have to pay more than $20. If you are still deciding, I would suggest you get the Parallax one.

Thanks again, I look forward to hearing about your experience with the EXOS 2 PMC-Eight and be sure to contact me if you have any questions.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering