Re: Limited Sky View

Robert Parks

Brian:

I had that problem as well at first; then I realized that my dovetail mounting plate affixed to my telescope needed adjusting so that the telescope was aligned with the axis of the mount.  Went out to a place where I had a good view of a tall radio tower (during daylight hours), set the mount axes in their parked positions and locked them, and used the latitude and longitude adjustments on the mount to get the polar finder crosshair centered on the light on top of the tower.  A crosshair eyepiece REALLY helps this process - it was suprising how misaligned my telescope was with the mount.  By adjusting the mounting plate, I got it where the scope and mount were pointing at the same place and voila!

Scott

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 8:22 AM Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:
Brian:

The software assumes you have the scope sitting at the North Celestial Pole (NCP), that is true north when you start the PMC8.  PArk is thus at the NCP.

If you are 15 degrees off, that is a lot of error.  If you can see polaris and setup to point to it when in park you should not be that very far away with gotos.  The error you have suggests you are not very well polar aligned, you are terribly out of level, or perhaps the wrong mount is selected in Explorestars.  If you were running it as a G11, then the motor counts would be wacked by 11%.. this could be about 15 degrees depending upon where you were looking.  My explorestars cam by default set as a G11.  Maybe yours is too?

Other issues come to mind but given that the mount returns to park those don't stand up to inspection.

Check and make sure your mount type i correct.

Wes.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG

Robert Scott Parks - Northwest Arkansas, USA

Mount: Explore Scientific EXOS II GT WITH PMC-8
Polar Finder: EXOS II integrated with illuminated reticle
Telescope: Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 FCD1 Air-Spaced Triplet ED APO Refractor
Finder: Telrad
Hardware: Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7"
Steering Software: ExploreStars App