Re: Absolute and total frustration.... #EXOS2

jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>

Good day Sir,

I am not sure if this would be of any assistance to you, because I am a new comer to this and I am still learning how to use my iEXOS-100 mount.  At least the EXOS-2PMC has a polar scope.  My night vision is not the greatest and I can’t see Polaris through the tunnel scope or visually see Polaris with the naked eye.   Now as for Sirius, Arcturus, Antares, and several others, not a problem with the Naked Eye.

Have you verified the following alignments while positioning your scope North:

1.       DEC Alignment

2.       RA Alignment

3.       Azimuth Alignment

4.       Leveling the mount

I believe if one or more alignments are off, this would affect the accuracy of your goto capability.  The iEXOS-100 has no such markings for alignment, so I did it by sight for a while and then used tape and strips of white paper to label it, so my results would be repeatable.    I did a dry run yesterday before the clouds moved in.  I had just setup the scope up again looking for Polaris.  Then I got tired, parked the scope/mount, and did a cold slew to Saturn, the planet was underneath the crosshairs of my finderscope which has a FOV of 5 degrees.   I ran out of time, due to cloud cover.

I can understand your frustration.  I have been frustrated as well, more with cloud coverage and astronomy apps than anything else, but I am having fun trying to figure things out.  Since I plan on doing Messier objects, I want to fine tune the Goto functionality as much as possible.

Dec Alignment

RA Alignment:

Azimuth Alignment

JR