Re: Pictures of PMC-8 Mounts - Let's See Yours

brian skinner

Aah, got it Chris thankyou. I can also see how you support the camera lens. Excellent.
Kind regards, Brian

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 12:23 Chris Tardif <christardif@... wrote:

Sorry if I wasn’t clear....no.  The side-by-side didn’t work out.  It was too heavy and too hard to balance.   I just cannibalized the 14 center bar of the side-by-side assembly and screwed it to the dovetail.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io> on behalf of brian skinner <brianjimskinner@...>
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 3:05:41 AM
To: MAIN@espmc-eight.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] Pictures of PMC-8 Mounts - Let's See Yours

Many thanks Chris, very helpful indeed. Some photos without the camera mounted would be very useful as I can't work out in my head how the side by side saddle fits in to the overall arrangement, sorry about that; Presumably you still have the camera and finder scope mounted side by side??
Kind regards, Brian

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 12:38 Chris Tardif <christardif@... wrote:
A bit of back story.  This was my third attempt at a workable guide scope configuration.

It ended up being too heavy and way to hard to balance and align...I knew I was in trouble when I had to rig up an additional counter weight.

I went completely to the other end of the spectrum and tried the 30mm guide scope mounted in the hot-shoe of the camera.  That turned out to be too unstable because the hot-shoe doesn't hold it tightly enough.

Two guide scopes and an expensive side-by-side bar later my final set up consists of this:

  1. Standard Canon lens mount ring attached to:
  2. iOptron Dove Tail plate: https://www.ontariotelescope.com/Dovetail-Plate-178mm--Black_p_553.html
  3. Dove tail plate is attached to the center bar of the above side-by-side rig.  I initially thought it would be too long, but it turns out with all the cables and distances required its the right length.  Any sufficiently long bar with holes in the right place would work.  I can send you detailed pics if you need.
  4.  Several screws from Home Depot

It balances well, it's under the capacity and polar-alignment is good.  Centering objects is still a challenge for me, but I'm working on it.

Chris

Canon T3i modified

CLS-CCD Filter

IEXOS-100

ZWO-30mm guide scope

Altair Astro GPCAM130

SharpCap Pro, ATP, Starry Night, Photshop, PHD

Intel NUC NUC7I5BNK

Sent from Mail for Windows 10