Re: Auotguiding no longer working

Chris Tardif

Yes, I suppose my question lacked as you say "meat on the bone".  I set up PHD through ASCOM months ago and it was working well.  I put anew scope on the mount last week and even as a write this I realize the absurdity.  It is a 102mm Explore Scientific FCD-100.  I think I am right at the weight limit.  It slews well, polar aligns, star aligns and seems quite solid.

If I am simply tracking on a star the mount tracks and produces acceptable 20 second images....as I would expect.

When I start PHD it runs  then about 20 seoncds into autoguidng PHD throws and error about being unable to....and this is where it gets fuzzy....i can't remember the error message but it was something about not being able to affect RA or DEC and i should look for tangled cables. 

i was thinking it was either

1) too heavy a scope....I dont think this is it because it slews, aligns and tracks as well as it did before. 
2) maybe my guide scope isn't up to the longer FL of the ES scope.  I don't think this is it either since I had a 400mm lens before and now have the 714 of the ES-102m
3) some kind of software config that i don't know how to troubleshoot.  My money is on this so i was starting with the pulse guiding dialogue box from the PMC-8 driver.  I thought it might be this because for some reason the driver lost my other settings somewhere recently.  I had to reset the location, elevation and COM port so I thought it might have lost something else I missed.

thanks
chris

Chris Tardif
Microsoft
416-459-9464

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io> on behalf of Robert Hoskin <devonshire@...>
Sent: Monday, July 1, 2019 11:44:55 AM
To: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] Auotguiding no longer working

Chris,

Can you put a bit more flesh on that problem statement?  What does "stopped working" look like to you?  

PHD2 won't start?  Won't connect devices?  Will connect, but performs terribly?  Something else?  

And...Do you know if ASCOM is working ok?....    

- Bob

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide
Cameras:  Nikon D5300, Altair GPCAM2-IMX224C
Software: ASCOM, CdC, AstroTortilla, BYN Pro, Sharpcap, PHD2
Computer:  Thinkpad x230, Win7Pro/64

Join MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.