Re: IEXOS-100 with prototype polar scope unguided images #iEXOS-100

jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>

Howdy,

Probably the previously owned lens was defective when you bought it?  You could always send it back to Sigma and have them inspect it.  They have a firmware update as well.

I have four setups for planet-imaging using an APSC-body camera:

1.       Sigma 150-600mm lens/ a combination of two teleconverters 2.8X (The Moon will fill your frame)

Focal length 1680mm/ Focal Ratio 18

2.       Celestron C90/ a combination of two teleconverters 2.8X/ (A Frugal-based Planet Killer J)

Focal length 3500mm/ Focal Ratio 42

3.       Celestron C90/ a combination of multiple teleconverters 5.6X to 11.2 X (Super-Duper Frugal Planet Killer J)

Focal length 7000mm-14000mm/ Focal Ratio 77.8 - 155.7; manually variable J

Super Duper Frugal Planet Killer (backend):

Things to note:

1.       I can’t see Polaris

2.       Red dot finder is a must for planetary and bright star imaging

3.       Current Canon/ Sigma teleconverters do not mate.  You might consider using all Vivitar or generic teleconverters.

4.       If mounting to a scope, you will have to cover the contacts of the teleconverter closet to the camera body

5.       I will only use Maksutov scopes….less headaches J.

6.       I am currently looking at picking up either the Explorer Scientific 152mm Maksutov (I love the rings) or  the Sky-Watcher 150mm Maksutov (I love the price).

If you are interested in DSOs, I would go with a 150-600mm lens and pick up used teleconverters on eBAY to do planetary imaging.  Upgrade equipment as needed.

I will not fulfill item 6 on my list until I have imaged Mars.  If it goes South, then I will invest in one of the scopes in item 6.

JR