Re: FIRMWARE UPDATE ISSUE IDENTIFIED WITH ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE #ExploreScientific #iexos-100 #G11 #EXOS2 #TECHNICAL

Mark Blair

I was one of the earliest purchasers of the G11 ESPCM-Eight.  Regarding the initial tone of this string, let's remember from an amateur astronomers' viewpoint (not business), we are all on the same team when it comes to the ESPCM-Eight.  From the beginning there were some issues with the marriage of the Losmandy G11 and the ESPCM-Eight, but I believe Jerry and ES have responded well and continue to solve issues as they arise.

Mark Blair

On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 11:20 AM Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering <jrh@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 11:25 AM, @Astoft wrote:
Allow me to inform you, that I find it low standards from the company Explore Scientific to distribute programs with Trojan virus.
Søren,

You are the only user so far who has said that their anti-virus protection has identified the PMC-Eight Configuration Manager contains a virus.
This program was written by PMC-Eight customer Chris  Moses, and has been scanned by our staff and other customers as being virus free on other machines.

The PMC-Eight Configuration Manager program is safe as far as we are concerned and can be used by our customers for updating their PMC-Eight system.

The problem that your virus protection program is identifying is in the behavior of the program while running the firmware update process.
The HEUR: Trojan win32.generic warning is a heuristic behavioral issue that is identified because the program is doing a process that has been generically identified as a Trojan virus type behavior.
The actual firmware update process uses a Parallax distributed executable called propellent.exe and can be downloaded here:

https://www.parallax.com/downloads/propellent-software

You may be correct in that "technically" we are distributing a program (propellent.exe) that is considered a Trojan virus by some anti-virus programs based on its behavior, but it does not in fact contain a Trojan Virus. We would not put our customer's systems at risk in this way.

This executable is included in the PMC-Eight Configuration Manager zip file. You are welcome to download the program directly and put it in the directory where you saved the PMC-Eight Configuration Manager program. I expect you will see the same result.

I think it is important to state that it was not until your report today that we put the behavior we are seeing with the firmware update with your report  of a virus in the PMC-Eight Configuration Manager.

I appreciate your experience report with your anti-virus software, it was key to resolving this issue.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data