Re: Ten minute subs with an EXOS2 PMC8! #EXOS2 #astrophotography

Cybermonk,

Absolutely - but as to discouraging posts, it's all about expectations. :-)

The mount, with out-of-the-box adjustments, will likely track fine for visual users.  Putting a camera on one changes the game, and requires the operator to be more involved in the mount's tracking performance.

When I first got my mount, I was pretty disappointed that just by plunking it down and turning it on, I didn't get good tracking.  And, like many, I expected that good UN-guided performance was a prerequisite for good guided performance later. Both wrong, as I found out.

I ended up going over the tripod, mount head, and power train, looking for things that contribute to mechanical tracking errors.  Basically, a collection of seemingly small things, but when I found  and corrected them, it made a big difference.  Those out of the way, the PMC8 is fast enough that it can then guide out remaining mechanical errors to the point where, when operated with care, the mount can perform far better than you'd expect for its price point.

It was enough work chasing down those small things, that I figured I'd better document them and save others the trouble - my notes are over in Mounts/Files, if anyone needs them.

- Bob

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide