Re: First Image with the new mount! #iEXOS-100

brian skinner

Hi Julian many thanks for this, much appreciated. I had problems loading DSS unfortunately I think because I have an older 32 bit PC. I presume DSS requires a 32 bit platform.
I have now successfully loaded the last Sequator 32 bit version so will try this for my stacker. One question I do have if I may; how do you convert the camera RAW files to TIFF files? Both DSS and Sequator require or recommend this for successful processing.....
Any help on this would be appreciated Thank you, Brian,

On Mon, 26 Aug 2019 11:00 julian.shroff1 via Groups.Io, <julian.shroff1=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hey Brian,

for astrophotography standards, I'd say DSS is very intuitive. There are a good bunch of tutorials on the web on how to use it, but basically all you have to do is put in the light (and dark/flat/bias if you wish so) frames and let it do the work.

Here's a short excerpt of a small astrophotography guide I'm writing, it's not even close to being complete but it might help you :)

Import the .TIF Files as Lights into DSS

WHEN USING MODERN DSLR + LENS: NO DARK/BIAS/FLAT FRAMES  NEEDED !! (assuming you pre-processed the raw frames and converted them to .TIF files)

Register checked pictures -> Select Best 85% ; Advanced -> Compute number of detected stars, should be ~100-200

Set stacking parameters → Kappa-Sigma Clipping

Save as 16-Bit TIF (Save picture to file…) Make sure not to use the Autosave file (It’s 32bit)