Re: How To Do an ExploreStars Assisted "Physical Polar Alignment" As Long As You Can See Polaris #TECHNICAL #astrophotography

Wes Mcdonald

 Nice. Be interesting to see who actually tries this and how well it works for them.
Wes

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 12:43 PM Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering <jrh@...> wrote:
I received an email from Wes polar alignment. We have been working together as Wes has been digging in hard to understand the mathematics and code behind the ExploreStars 2 and 3-star "virtual" alignment routines. We have had some good discussions over the past few months about how to improve the "virtual" alignment provided by ExploreStars. Wes has made good progress on determining the source of errors in the mount and in creating the mount model. I will leave it to him at some point down the road to announce his findings and we will announce any modifications we will be making to the software if and when it comes about.

In the meantime, back to the email Wes sent me, it contained a link to an easy, iterative method that anyone can use to "physically" polar align their PMC-Eight mount system assisted by the ExploreStars application. The only catch is that you need to be able to see Polaris. This method is independent of and does not use any imaging based alignment tools, all you need is a good eyepiece, preferably a cross-hair eyepiece such as the Meade 12 mm

https://www.amazon.com/Meade-Instruments-12-Millimeter-Achromatic-Illuminated/dp/B0001DZAU6 .

Here is the link to the procedure:

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/astro/iterating.pdf

Please take a look I would be interested in your thoughts on this procedure.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG