Re: External Power #starparty #EXOS2 #TECHNICAL

Steve Siedentop

Great find, Jim!

There’s a relatively recent addition to the battery technology mix using Lithium-Iron-Phosphate chemistry, sometimes listed as LiFePo4 in marketing literature.  The benefits are weight & size, shelf life, and safety.  The two recent iterations of the Celestron PowerTank use such a battery and the Explore Scientific power bank might as well.  The downside, because there’s always a downside, is cost.  I priced a 100 amp-hour LiFePo4 deep cycle for solar applications and the price was over $1,100.00.  Even with all the benefits and 15 pound weight, I couldn’t justify the cost compared to my 100 amp hour, high-maintenance, 50 pound, Group 31 deep cycle AGM battery.

The price will come down on LiFePo4 batteries, so they’re something to keep on your radar.

-Steve

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 8:17 AM Jim McKee <mckeejh@...> wrote:
I have also been exploring battery options.    I found this article to be good background if you want to compare lead-acid battery technologies.:

http://cfas.org/data/uploads/astronomy-ebooks/batteries.pdf

--
Scope:        Orion EON 115mm APO
Mounts
:      ES EXOS2-GT w/ PMC-8
Cameras:   Canon 6D Mk 2, Canon 7D2, 1D Mk 2, EOS 60D Asto Modified
Lens:
          Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II
Misc:          TELRAD, ZWO ASI120MM Guide Camera, Astromania 60mm Guidescope, Senso Sesto Focus Motor
Software:   EXPLORESTARS IOS & WIN, Stellarium. NINA,  APT, DSS, PixInsight, Photoshop CC
Computer:  Dell Latitude E5450, Windows 10

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11 with Ruland Couplers and One Piece Worm Blocks, Skywatcher NEQ-6
Scopes: ES ED127CF FCD100, Orion 6” Mak, Stellarvue SV80EDT, Coronado Solarmax 40
Cameras:  CentralDS CDS-600, CentralDS Astro 60D, Orion Starshoot SSAG
Msc: Moonlite Focusers, Astrozap Dew Straps, Pegasus Ultimate PowerBox
Software: PixInsight, Cartes du Ciel, BackyardEOS, SkySafari

Join MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.