Re: Orion Nebula M42 at the MSRO #G11 #astrophotography #TDM

Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering

Edited

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 09:18 AM, <wcblack1020@...> wrote:
Was this with or without guiding?
Hi Bill,

Thanks for your kind words about my image.

We don't auto-guide at the MSRO, we use the Telescope Drive Master (TDM) drive correction system which is a high-resolution (0.125 arc-seconds/count) incremental encoder on the RA axis that sends corrections to the auto-guider port on the G11 PMC-Eight 5 times per second. The tracking error is around 0.3 arc-seconds RMS. I have been using the TDM for about 9 years now, I was Explore Scientific's first customer for the system in 2010. Before I was hired by ES in 2013, I did some work on the system for them, and  created some software to record data from the system that is available from our website. Here is a paper I wrote about the performance of the system.

http://www.mda-telescoop.com/images/stories/downloads/tdm_control_investigation.pdf

The best thing about the TDM is that you can turn it on and forget it, no messing with an auto-guiding system which in my opinion is a pain in the ass. I found out early on when doing astrophotography that my time is worth more than the amount of money paid for the TDM. I am considered the expert on the system other than the guys in Hungary who developed it.

There is a big, long thread on CloudyNIghts from 2011. It was a pretty long and comprehensive discussion. I don't know if all the links in the messages work anymore.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/348458-telescope-drive-master-the-truth-of-the-matter/?p=4471194

Thanks for the question.

Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

Join MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.