Re: Orion Nebula M42 at the MSRO #G11 #astrophotography #TDM

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 09:18 AM, <wcblack1020@...> wrote:
Was this with or without guiding?
Hi Bill,

Thanks for your kind words about my image.

We don't auto-guide at the MSRO, we use the Telescope Drive Master (TDM) drive correction system which is a high-resolution (0.125 arc-seconds/count) incremental encoder on the RA axis that sends corrections to the auto-guider port on the G11 PMC-Eight 5 times per second. The tracking error is around 0.3 arc-seconds RMS. I have been using the TDM for about 9 years now, I was Explore Scientific's first customer for the system in 2010. Before I was hired by ES in 2013, I did some work on the system for them, and  created some software to record data from the system that is available from our website. Here is a paper I wrote about the performance of the system.

http://www.mda-telescoop.com/images/stories/downloads/tdm_control_investigation.pdf

The best thing about the TDM is that you can turn it on and forget it, no messing with an auto-guiding system which in my opinion is a pain in the ass. I found out early on when doing astrophotography that my time is worth more than the amount of money paid for the TDM. I am considered the expert on the system other than the guys in Hungary who developed it.

There is a big, long thread on CloudyNIghts from 2011. It was a pretty long and comprehensive discussion. I don't know if all the links in the messages work anymore.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/348458-telescope-drive-master-the-truth-of-the-matter/?p=4471194

Thanks for the question.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data