Re: EXOS-2 PMC Eight, displacement planets and the moon #EXOS2 #TECHNICAL #OpenGOTO #ExploreStars #alignment

Rodrigo Zelada

Hi, thanks for your response, I had not considered the cone error.

But even so I have a doubt, that I cannot solve it considering the cone error, which although it affects the position in different areas of the celestial sphere.

The punctual case with Saturn, which is currently in Sagittarius, one of the stars I used to align was Nunki, very close to Saturn's position. If I move the mount with the information of the catalog to Altair, it arrives well, (not centered by the effect of the cone error), if I move it to Shaula it also arrives relatively well, if I turn to M8 it also arrives well, but Saturn remains quite far (with Jupiter the same thing happens with Saturn), Saturn it is not seen in the telescope's visual field as in the other cases.

I would expect to see the same displacement of the stars in this area of the celestial sphere when I point to Saturn or Jupiter, but it is much more and they are out of the telescope's visual field.

 I correct the cone error of my telescope assembly and do the same exercise.

Thank

Rodrigo

El mar., 12 nov. 2019 a las 20:00, Wes Mcdonald (<wesmcd6@...>) escribió:
Rodrigo

I have been modeling the alignment procedure and have arrived at several conclusions.

1.  Irregularities can occur in go-to based upon errors in your Dec home position.  Similarly errors in cone angle will persist even after three star alignments.  Thus you need to assure these are minimized before you perform the alignment.  I note the cone angle is correctly compensated for in the three stars used in the alignment but not across the sky.

2.  Your precision of centering during the alignment can affect your result.  So use a cross hair eyepiece and get close during alignment.

3.  When you sync on an object you bake in the Az El rotational error imposed by home error and measurement error.  These errors get rotated around the sky and affect other objects.

4.  The residual errors discussed above affect some objects more than others depending upon where they are in the celestrial sphere.  Thus you can have good results in one object and poor in another.

My simulations suggest that the cone error and Dec home.error are to blame for the things you are seeing.  It suggests you have Dec home error likely on the order of 1 or 2 degrees.  You can eliminate Dec home error using the procedure I posted in the mounts subgroup in the files section.  Do this before you start after you have.set up and leveled the mount .  It only takes a a few minutes.   As for cone error you should eliminate it using the method posted by Jerry with a link to the Astronomy Shed YouTube channel.

I don't believe there is anything incorrect with the planet vs DSO pointing.  While possible, the results you are seeing are far more likely due to one or both of Dec home or  cone angle.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG

Rodrigo Zelada Bacigalupo

Gerente General
North Optics Instrumentos Científicos y Ópticos
Asesoría y Venta de equipamiento para observación astronómica y astrofotografía
+56 9 9321 6519
Cristóbal Colón #352 OF. 514, La Serena IV Región de Coquimbo