Re: Polar alignment through main scope #iEXOS-100 #alignment #sharpcap

FishWithFeet <jeff.paules@...>

Hello-

I'm frugal, and use Roberts technique.  I setup the D5300 to shoot 1/3rd second shots at iso 1600.  Pause is set to 2 seconds, 200 frames.

Then bootup Sharpcap and use folder monitor camera.

Since I know roughly where polaris should be in the frame now I can get a SharpCap deemed "excellent" polar alignment in roughly 70 frames, or  2 minutes.

In short since you intend to buy SharpCap regardless you can test it yourself with your camera and know.

I shoot through a Sigma 150 -600, and I have PA'ed at 150 & 200 mm. I never tried 600mm but not sure why I would.

On Sat, Feb 1, 2020, 11:11 AM Robert Hoskin <devonshire@...> wrote:
Tommy,

I've done a polar alignment with my D5300, BYN and Sharpcap.  It did work, but it was slow and clumsy compared to using the guidescope and its camera.  One of those things that you do once, just to see if it you can make it work.  :-)

My $0.02 - simpler and faster to just use the guidescope + sharpcap.  Then once polar aligned, disconnect sharpcap and when ready for guiding, connect up PHD2.

HTH...

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide