Re: ASUS Nexus 7 #EXOS2 #ExploreStars

Wes Mcdonald

Tim

The apps have different, though similar, UI.  Also the Android and the IOS versions have the most recent improvements while the Windows version is still the same as the initial release I believe

The main UI difference between Windows and Android (iOS also) is that the various options are accessed via the menu button located next to the zero on the main screen number pad.  That gives you a slide-in pick list. Try them out to find the goodies.  Many things in the settings menu which you will need.

One of the important changes in Android (over Windows) is its ability to inhibit auto align.  I recommend everyone turn auto align off.  With this off, you have the opportunity to skip through proffered alignment stars without having the mount skewing around the sky as you skip to the next star searching for one that is visible.  Jerry mostly, if not completely, crushed a persistent issue with slewing from one star to another rapidly.  While the mount probably can handle it now, I just don’t do it.  Disable auto slew and be very happy.

Another difference between Android and all of the other apps is the ability to search for an alignment star during the alignment procedure.    Start the alignment and when you want to select a star just go to the catalog.  The app will pull up the star page and prompt you to select the associated alignment star.  Note the app picks stars automatically that are most likely going to result in a good alignment— remember the relative locations of the stars matter when it comes to accuracy.  But if you want to you can pick your own stars.  I have found it is helpful sometimes to pick another star than the one auto picked but in the same constellation, owing to obstructions.

Hope this helps

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG