Re: PMC-Eight for other mounts?

Steve Siedentop

The PMC Eight will bolt on to a G-11 with the included mounting plates.  If you’re getting a second hand G-11, do yourself a favor and get the one piece worm blocks.  You will eventually have to adjust a G-11 and the two piece worm block will be exercise in frustration.  The RA extension is really nice also as it lets you separate the mount into two pieces for easier transport.

As far as other mounts go, you’ll need to figure out how to secure the motors to the mount.  There will be other settings to configure, but I’m not at my desk right now and can’t give you any screenshots.  Perhaps Jerry can chime in.

A TDM is nice to have but not required.  However, if you’re going to do long exposure astrophotography, you’ll need to use an autoguider or a TDM.  If your setup will be portable, stick with autoguiding.

-Steve

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 6:05 PM Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:
The PMC8 is not integrated to encoders....have to ask Jerry if that is in the cards.  The losmandy upgrade employs a TDM to manage the velocity of the shaft and has its own high res encoder not interfaced to the PMC8.

At least I believe all of the above is correct.

The only magic about putting in a PMC 8 on another scope would be working out the drive chain.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG

Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11 with Ruland Couplers and One Piece Worm Blocks, Skywatcher NEQ-6
Scopes: ES ED127CF FCD100, Orion 6” Mak, Stellarvue SV80EDT, Coronado Solarmax 40
Cameras:  CentralDS CDS-600, CentralDS Astro 60D, Orion Starshoot SSAG
Msc: Moonlite Focusers, Astrozap Dew Straps, Pegasus Ultimate PowerBox
Software: PixInsight, Cartes du Ciel, BackyardEOS, SkySafari