sticky Re: Astrophotography Done with the iEXOS-100, EXOS 2, and G11 Post your Pictures and Details! Lets Show What These Mounts Can Do. #iEXOS-100 #G11 #EXOS2 #astrophotography

Dan Kahraman

Kevin:

Use the values from astrometry.net to get the exact focal length of your system. This is very important. Use ASTAP as your Local and Blind solve tool. Finally your camera should have a minimum of 1000 pixels in the largest dimension. You should also be in an area where there are enough stars for Plate Solve to work.

Dan Kahraman

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 at 18:26, Robert Hoskin <devonshire@...> wrote:
Kevin,

Just for fun, I uploaded your image to astrometry.net to see if it could plate-solve and figure out what you have - but no joy.  It's not having any luck.

You do have *something*, but I've no idea what, either.

FWIW, if your focus is off, the starlight is spread out and otherwise bright stars spread out into faint fuzz - or less.
Well, basically...the stars can all but disappear.  Yep.

Were you focusing with the imaging camera in place?  You were doing it with an eyepiece before, and then swapping the camera in, but that's not precise enough.
You do need to focus with the imaging camera - more than one way to do that.  No idea what focusing aids APT has, as I don't use it - but have a look there's probably something available.

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide