Re: 2-3 Star Alignment #iEXOS-100 #ExploreStars #alignment #sharpcap

Tommy

Thank you Jerry for the input. That was a question I had about locking onto the brightest star in my FOV with my 50mm guidescope. I will give that a try tonight.

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020, 7:58 AM Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering <jrh@...> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 04:30 PM, Tommy wrote:
I have been having trouble performing a 2 or 3 star alignment, meaning I am not 100% sure I've locked into the correct star, so I usually take my best guess.
Hi Tommy,

The Explore Stars 2 or 3-star "virtual polar alignment" system is designed to make it as easy as possible (within reason) for beginners to get a good alignment so that the GOTO navigation (Pointing) to stars is accurate. The default setting is to slew automatically to the first suggested star when selecting 2 or 3-star alignment. If you have set up your tripod and mount to have a good physical polar alignment (within a couple of degrees), then with a wide field finder the slew will take you to the alignment star and you should be able to identify it as the brightest star near the center of your finder. If it is behind an obstruction, then just hit NEXT to go to the next suggested star.  It should not be hard to identify the correct star as Explore Stars will show you which star in the constellation it is pointed to. 

There is the option to turn off the "Auto Slew" function so that you can select your stars without the mount slewing to every star in the list until you get to the one(s) you are after.

This is how it is designed to work for beginners.  I hope this helps to understand.

--
Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

--
Cameras: Nikon D5600, ASI ZWO120
Scope: Astro-Tech 60ed, Orion 50mm
Mount: ES-iEXOS-100

Join MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.