Re: Trouble with M2.5 x 20 screws installing Mount Adapter Plate for Polar Finderscope EXOSPF #iEXOS-100 #polaralignment

Pavel

Hi,

I have just received the Polar Scope yesterday from Bresser/Germany and
also was a little bit puzzled by several things:

From the package, the scope was loosely fixed to the mount adapter
plate, but the other way around than it should be, as I found out
quickly. The people in the factory obviously do not care much and let
you solve the puzzles youselves.

The two small screws were accompanied by two oversized nuts without any
obvious purpose. I also found out that the screws are just too long, so
the nuts are obviously expected to be used as washers (underlay)? Even
so it was very tight to get fully fixed, but fortunately nothing got
broken. I guess it would be more appropriate to shorten the screws by
cutting them or just to buy shorter ones, but as a workaround it is OK.

I am also puzzled by the role of the rubber washer or gasket (or how
should it be called?) just loosely pulled around the scope...?

The reticle would also need some explanation that I have not found
anywhere. I suppose that Polaris should nowadays fit exactly into the
gap in the line between the marks "2000" and "2030" - and in the
following years maybe behind the line and closer to the mark "2030"? (As
the Earth axis slowly drifts... But it should drift slightly *pass* the
NCP, not directly *towards* it, I think.)
A similar explanation would also be useful for the triple line/gaps for
"δ Umi" and "51 Cep". Why triple?
Anyway, I have not really found "51 Ceph" in any catalog nor sky map. Is
it possibly the star marked as "OV Cep" or "HD 51802"?

I hope to actually try looking at the sky with the finder tonight. Last
night was rather cloudy.

Best,
Pavel

Hi all, has anyone else installing the iEXOS-100 EXOSPF Polar Finderscope?

The two mounting screws provided are supposed to be M2.5 x 20 according to the Instruction Manual, but appear to have a smaller nominal diameter than 2.5mm.

Thankfully, the smaller diameter means that they are tight replacements for the two smaller screws in the front of the declination drive's cover, but at 20mm they are too long to thread all the way in.

One of the longer screws was so tight that I couldn't remove it with the Allen key and had to resort to cutting the screw's head off and removing the threaded portion with pliers.

If the supplied screws are indeed M2.5 (they look no more than M2 in the accompanying image of the only good one remaining), would two 15mm-long screws be better?

Many thanks,

Ade