Re: EXPLORE SCIENTIFIC - Updated version of the ANDROID ExploreStars Application! #ExploreScientific #ExploreStars

Joe Izen

I'm trying to see whether I have the latest version on my FireOS tablet I have 1.9.20051.494 installed.  How do I learn what is the latest version? Should I just assume that if GooglePlay tells me an app is already installed, it is the latest version? The version in Jerry's post seems to be dated.

I get a message to update my DB when I launch ExploreStars on my FireOS tablet. I find:
DB Ver: 0.0 [85643].  FW Ver:1.00 installed on my FireOD table.

I know these are over a year old, so I'm pretty sure they are long in the tooth, but how does one learn the latest versions?

I recently installed GooglePlay on my FireOS tablet, so I think can update through the Android store, but I recall the DB is tricky. I checked ExploreStars.com. The DB install video is hopelessly Microsoft tablet-centric, and the page doesn't render fully with my Mac's Safari browser.

I recall needing to be coached through the DB initial install, and that I couldn't use my own tablet to download the DB to the SD card which is a requirement for design reasons I still can't fathom.

After switching to Chrome, I found http://02d3287.netsolhost.com/pmc-eight/Android.html

but the instructions on this page are also confusing. In particular, to install an update (not clear whether it is a DB or app update), it would have me jump to step 5 on my Android browser (so I can't just download an updated app with GooglePlay???). But Step 1 iss the DB download step, and I think I had to do the download and unzip the first time on a PC. I am very confused.

I would very much appreciate blow-by-blow instructions for updating the app and the DB on FireOS. I suggest that since download and install instructions for Microsoft tablets are give on the explore stars.com home page, this would be the right location for app and DB upgrade instructions for ALL platforms, PC, Android, and iOS. For now, I'd be grateful if a clarification could  be posted to this thread. Kent is always helpful, but I hate to pester him on the phone for info that should be documented for everyone.

To the extend that ExploreStars and PMC-8 mounts handshake with ASCOM drivers that need to be updates, it would be helpful if those instructions could be documented too.

I am planning to update my iEXOS-100 PMC8 firmware. I think the most current upgrade instructions are in this threads:

https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN/topic/35951559?p=,,,20,0,0,0::relevance,,%23FIRMWARE,20,2,0,35951559,ct=1&ct=1

Version check: https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN/topic/71858890?p=,,,20,0,0,0::relevance,,%23FIRMWARE,20,2,0,71858890,ct=1&ct=1

Is this information still current?  Can I break anything if I update the firmware and/or the ExploreStars app, but not the other? Any ASCOM gotchas?

Are there any developments on an iOS version for iPhones. There are some pretty big iPhone screens these days. It would be most convenient to use my iPhone as a backup for my Fire tablet.

Thanks!