Re: Polar Alignment #EXOS2 #polaralignment #ExploreStars

Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 12:26 PM, Joe Izen wrote:
Last night, after spotting Polaris and offsetting it as best I could by eye, I read my mount's latitude marker at 31 degrees, even though I was observing at 33.0 degrees. I was more than the 1.25 degree half-width of the bore tunnel off.  Jerry, is the offset due to the intrinsic precision of the level? The latitude marker's calibration precision? The bore tunnel alignment? Operator error?
Hi Joe,

There are errors in all of these items that combine to cause the overall offset, plus others. Unfortunately even though we can add the precision PMC-Eight electronics and all the software available for it to the mount we are still limited by the price point we are trying to sell them at. The cost to us for manufacturing the mount precludes and limits the time and precision for attaching the latitude marker and the level. That along with how well you set the "Home" position of the iEXOS 100 and the Cone Error limit the typical quick setup precision and result in that offset that you need to "SYNC" out of the mount once you slew to your first target.

--
Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

Join MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.