Re: New ASCOM Platform 6.5 Testing

Steve Siedentop

Proceed carefully and at your own risk.  This is a release candidate, which means it’s generally stable but not without issues.  It’s likely close to its final form, but expect changes.

I wouldn’t install this on your primary imaging rig unless you’re confident you can dig yourself out of any hole you get yourself into.

That being said, it’s definitely fun and exciting to test out new stuff like this.

No idea on how it will handle profiles from previous versions.  I would expect to see that the data structures storing profile metadata have changed and would also expect to have to re-enter everything for this new version. There may be a migration process, but don’t count on that.

We have a week of rain coming, so I’ll have some time to tinker next week.

-Steve

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 5:25 PM Robert Parks <dionyxian@...> wrote:
Say I want to install this and am currently running the latest iteration of ASCOM 6.4 - will the 6.5 installer pull my settings and whatnot, or would it be best to uninstall the older version and do a clean 6.5 install? Option three - if this question exposes me as a rank noob feel free to advise me "wait for the update you'll hurt yourself" and I shall comply!

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 2:33 PM Steve Siedentop <sdsiedentop@...> wrote:
Looks very interesting...all the details here:

https://github.com/ASCOMInitiative/ASCOMPlatform/releases

-Steve
--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11 with Ruland Couplers and One Piece Worm Blocks, Skywatcher NEQ-6
Scopes: ES ED127CF FCD100, Orion 6” Mak, Stellarvue SV80EDT, Coronado Solarmax 40

--
Robert Scott Parks - Northwest Arkansas, USA

Mount: Explore Scientific EXOS II GT WITH PMC-8
Polar Finder: EXOS II integrated with illuminated reticle
Telescope: Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 FCD1 Air-Spaced Triplet ED APO Refractor
Finder: Telrad
Hardware: Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7", Dell Venue 10 Pro 32bit OS, Samsung Galaxy S20+
Steering Software: ExploreStars App, ASCOM/POTH + StellariumScope/Stellarium + Wifi Scope + SkySafari Pro