From: Bill the Mortal
Sent: 20 May 2020 20:31
To: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] Couple questions about the EXOS2-GT PMC8 #EXOS2 #ExploreStars

I would like to know this as well.
I installed the latest version of Stellarium, but no luck getting it to work directly with the PMC 8 on my EXOS II. However, Stellarium Scope is still working fine, so I'm still using it for now.

My steps were:

  • Installed Stellarium 20.1
  • Started POTH connected to the PMC 8
  • Started Stellarium and went into the Scope configurations
  • Added a new scope, selected ASCOM, selected ASCOM POTH
  • Click connect, connected to the mount, Scope icon appears on the Stellarium screen at the NCP reporting essentially the same coordinates as the POTH hub.
  • Pick an object in Stellarium, click current object coordinates, click slew... nothing
  • park the scope in POTH, click slew in Stellarium, get a message from Stellarium that you cannot slew a parked scope.
  • unpark the scope in POTH, click slew... nothing
  • click sync... nothing.

So the communications all seem to be working fine, but Stellarium does not seem to be sending any commands to the POTH Hub, but it is reading information from the POTH Hub.

Also tried bypassing the POTH Hub and just connect directly to the PMC 8 from Stellarium (the PMC8 shows up as one of the options in Stellarium directly when you pick ASCOM).
However, similar results. The Scope icon appears on the screen, has essentially the correct coordinates, but when I click slew I get the "parked scope" message from Stellarium and now no way to unpark the scope, since I've bypassed the POTH Hub.

Interestingly, Stellarium Scope is still working fine. I can Start Stellarium Scope and also connect directly to the Poth Hub so that I now have two active scope icons showing in Stellarium (I named the direct connection "Direct" and the default name for Stellarium Scope is just "Scope"). So with this set-up, I can control the mount with the "Scope" connection and the "Direct" connection will follow it around on the screen. However, I cannot issue any commands through the "Direct" connection... it just sits there.

Valiant effort from the folks at Stellarium, but as far as I can tell it doesn't actually work.

Wondering if anyone has actually gotten it to work with the PMC8 EXOSII... or any PMC8 for that matter.
Thanks!
--

Bill
Location: Dallas, GA

Mounts: EXOS II PMC-Eight, LXD75

Cameras: ZWO ASI294MCPro, ASI385

--
Scopes: Sky Watcher 200PDS, Skywatcher 72ED
Mount: Explore Scientific PMC8 EXO2