Re: Choosing Alignment Stars

Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 11:08 AM, Robert Parks wrote:
"here is how to put all your new equipment together, what all the parts are called, and how to use the handy app to move it around" sure would have flattened my learning curve
Hi Robert,

Although I understand that putting a paper manual and the software "in the box" with our products may be a desire for some, it is not the reality of this hobby, or the industry. Practically any product you buy will require you to go to the manufacturer's website to get the latest and greatest information. This is not unreasonable. We provide one web page to get all the necessary materials and documents you should need about our equipment. We have to balance our need to provide equipment specific information with trying to teach the customer the hobby, and about the how and why of using our equipment in furtherance of their pursuit of the hobby.

Frankly, we are not here to teach astrophotography or other aspects of the hobby to our customers. In my opinion, it is up to the customer to teach themselves about the hobby, join a club and get a mentor, or do the other things necessary to meet their own goals and needs. We freely offer advice on where to go and how to do things when asked. My book, "Scientific Astrophotography" provides a single source to understand all there is to know about the equipment to get you well down the path to success. I am not sure if this meets the requirements you are talking about but this is a technical hobby regardless of your goals, there is learning involved and a certain level of self-instruction required.

I don't mean to make this sound like we do not want to do what you suggest, but we can only do so much.

Thanks

--
Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

Join MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.