Re: EXOS2 GT

Dave Cherry

Hi Bob,
Just a quick answer... You must check your site location Co-ordinates carefully. (long/lat). Sounds like they are off.  Watch positive/negative values, easy to get wrong sometimes.

It's a very good mount Bob, don't worry, you will get there.

Cheers
Dave

Sent from my Xperia™ by Sony smartphone

---- Bob wrote ----

I have to say I am frustrated with the exos2-gt mount. While it tracks well once you have the target in the viewfinder, I have to say up to that point it is a manual mount.

To start the alignment I level the scope, do a polar alignment, hit park (and check to see it is lined up with the marks when it stops moving), the hit 'reset alignment'.

1/ After polar aligning WELL on a level mount with good freedom of movement I attempted to do an alignment.
2/ Picking a clear, bright star from the list I hit 'goto' when prompted to use it as the first star.
3/ I locate and center it (the mount gets me within 5 degrees or so) with a 24 mm eyepiece. THEN I Switch to a crosshair eyepiece and line it up perfectly.  Then I hit enter (I tried sync then enter upon the suggestion of E.S. earlier)
4/ I repeat the process for star 2, or star 2 and 3 as appropriate.

I park the scope again, checking the marks.

Then I ask it to slew to Jupiter, which is clearly visible.  The magic of the mount occurs, and when it stops slewing, it is 90 degrees to the west of Jupiter and angled toward the ground.  I carefully check the clutches to make sure they were tight, and watched the scope move to make sure no cables were caught.

I park the scope, hit reset alignment, and repeat a full 2 and 3 star alignment as above.

Once again, I ask it to slew to Jupiter.  When the scope stops moving, it is pointing to Mars, nearly 90 degrees off Jupiter to the EAST.

Seriously, I'm new to astronomy, am computer literate, and I just want the target in the low power eyepiece after spending twenty min aligning the damn telescope.  What is the problem and why do I have to fight this 700 dollar mount to find the MOON????

I'll keep working with it, but this is ridiculous when you look at it.  I should be able to

a/ Expect to see my target in the low power scope when I ask the mount to go to it.
b/ I should be able to control the scope with Stellarium without an act of Congress and a visit from the geek squad.

I'm going to add a camera and a guide scope and see if they will make this thing work.

But I have to ask, it is supposed to be this absurd, is this what I can expect from a high quality mount like an exos2-gt?  Is this just pilot error?  Is there a secret handshake to make this thing work?  If so, why isn't it in the manual?  Why does the manual seem to be written for another version of the software (windows and a couple of releases ago).  Why, when I follow the instructions, does it simply not work?

If I can't figure it out in a week, I'm just going to send it back and buy a different model that works with stellarium and doesn't have me up half the night trying to align it when I should be using it to explore the universe.

Bob

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Scopes: Sky Watcher 200PDS, Skywatcher 72ED
Mount: Explore Scientific PMC8 EXO2
Cameras: ASI 294MCPRO Coooled, Altair guide cam + 50mm scope
Software: Sharpcap Pro ,PH2, Stelarium Startools