Re: EXOS2 GT

Steven Romero

Hi Bob.

I've been having these types of issues as well, and yes it is frustrating. I've since accepted that amateur astronomy is a process.

A few observations:

1) I thought I was polar aligning well, but after reviewing some notes from others here and also looking online, I found out I wasn't. I'm using the Polar Scope Align app available for iPhone which helps, but read the detailed instructions or you'll still be off. Others here don't even use the polar scope but instead opt for other tools (Polemaster, Sharcap).
2) I had some cone error, but corrected this. I posted a document in the files section of the MOUNTS subgroup that explains this. There is a helpful video referenced as well
3) I found out my mount could not be leveled. One of the legs pulls out longer than the other. ExploreScientific made good on this. Check for this, and use a real level, not the bubble
4) You should be able to get Stellarium to work with this mount. Not sure what platform you have, but it works for Windows users and I just figured out over the weekend how to get it working on my MacBook Pro (if you can get Stellarium working on a Mac you can get it working on anything).

Hope it helps.

Steve

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 1:58 AM Bob <drrtownsend@...> wrote:
I have to say I am frustrated with the exos2-gt mount. While it tracks well once you have the target in the viewfinder, I have to say up to that point it is a manual mount.

To start the alignment I level the scope, do a polar alignment, hit park (and check to see it is lined up with the marks when it stops moving), the hit 'reset alignment'.

1/ After polar aligning WELL on a level mount with good freedom of movement I attempted to do an alignment.
2/ Picking a clear, bright star from the list I hit 'goto' when prompted to use it as the first star.
3/ I locate and center it (the mount gets me within 5 degrees or so) with a 24 mm eyepiece. THEN I Switch to a crosshair eyepiece and line it up perfectly.  Then I hit enter (I tried sync then enter upon the suggestion of E.S. earlier)
4/ I repeat the process for star 2, or star 2 and 3 as appropriate.

I park the scope again, checking the marks.

Then I ask it to slew to Jupiter, which is clearly visible.  The magic of the mount occurs, and when it stops slewing, it is 90 degrees to the west of Jupiter and angled toward the ground.  I carefully check the clutches to make sure they were tight, and watched the scope move to make sure no cables were caught.

I park the scope, hit reset alignment, and repeat a full 2 and 3 star alignment as above.

Once again, I ask it to slew to Jupiter.  When the scope stops moving, it is pointing to Mars, nearly 90 degrees off Jupiter to the EAST.

Seriously, I'm new to astronomy, am computer literate, and I just want the target in the low power eyepiece after spending twenty min aligning the damn telescope.  What is the problem and why do I have to fight this 700 dollar mount to find the MOON????

I'll keep working with it, but this is ridiculous when you look at it.  I should be able to

a/ Expect to see my target in the low power scope when I ask the mount to go to it.
b/ I should be able to control the scope with Stellarium without an act of Congress and a visit from the geek squad.

I'm going to add a camera and a guide scope and see if they will make this thing work.

But I have to ask, it is supposed to be this absurd, is this what I can expect from a high quality mount like an exos2-gt?  Is this just pilot error?  Is there a secret handshake to make this thing work?  If so, why isn't it in the manual?  Why does the manual seem to be written for another version of the software (windows and a couple of releases ago).  Why, when I follow the instructions, does it simply not work?

If I can't figure it out in a week, I'm just going to send it back and buy a different model that works with stellarium and doesn't have me up half the night trying to align it when I should be using it to explore the universe.

Bob

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Steven Romero
Location: Houston, TX and surrounding environs (50%) Midland,TX and a large swath of West, TX (50%)
Mount: EXOS2-GT PMC-8
Scope: ED102 APO
Eyepieces: 24mm, 11mm, 6.5mm (82 deg)
Software: Kstars (OS X)