Re: Can EXOS2-GT PMC-EIGHT handle 200mm diameter f/5 newt? #EXOS2

Jennifer Shelly

Edited

Dan:

The system in the picture is the EXOS-2 PMC-8 and ES N208CF Newtonian.  I must admit I do not use this set up anymore because I have the G-11 PMC-8 and ES 127 FCD-100 refractor.  I was thinking about bringing it out of retirement.

In the picture I mounted the PMC-8 box on the handle of the Newtonian and used plastic adjustable cable clamps with 3M heavy duty dual lock fastener tape. The tape was placed on the back of the clamps and on the telescope tube rings which allowed me to quickly disconnect and reconnect the cables.

As someone else mentioned the wind is not your friend with a Newtonian.  It does not matter what mount you use the wind will cause problems with astrophotography because a Newtonian is essentially a large wind catcher.

Also you want to use a dew heater on the primary mirror especially during the summer if you store your telescope in an air conditioned home and take it outside.  The primary will dew up almost instantaneously.

One more thing....balance is key with a Newtonian.  You want to ensure you are balanced both horizontally and vertically at 90°.
--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 EXOS-2
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, QHY Mini Guide Scope, Solomark F60 Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY600M, QHY128C, QHY168C
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance, QHY CFW3-L, Baader 2” LRGBSHO CCD
Imaging Software:  NINA, APT, SharpCap Pro