ASIAIR PRO with PMC8-G11 review / first light...or night that is...

Luke

Good morning,

I received an ASIAIR PRO just a few days ago and took time tonight to play with it. It is very well built.
First I had to figure where I would place the little red box on the mount and how to route the cabling. I did find a perfect spot, I will post pictures within the next couple of days, a picture is worth a lot of words...
You have to configure the PMC8  to worked wired, not wireless,
Once everything was hooked I turned the unit on and the mount was not connecting to the tablet, bummer..
It took a short while but I found the solution here on this site, you have to reprogram the RS232 FTDI and invert the DTR, I did not know you could even reprogram those, well after I did the reprogramming, really easy to do once you know how, you have to disconnect and reconnect to reset the cable.
Also you have to pick a baud rate, there is a list, I tried in sequence and the 115000 worked for me. After all that was done all worked well and the connection was perfect.
I want to mention also that the software on the ASIAIR PRO updated itself from the tablet upon booting, software and database all in one shot, much easier than ES database, sorry Jerry...
I played with it quite a bit, the interface is really really intuitive, there is a learning curve, but as you go along, there is prompts that appears and guide you in what you are going to do, and how to do it.
Plate solving worked really well, guiding worked really well, the goto and the selection of targets worked really well,polar align worked really well.
This was my first 4 hours spend with the little red box, so far the PMC8 really like the ASIAIR PRO, a match made in heaven, I am really impressed.
Oh I forgot, all that is done completely wireless, I tried my IPAD , then switched to an Android tablet and lastly used my Android cell phone, it just worked...
As mentioned above I will post pictures taken during day time.
If you have any questions, or anyone else using the ASIAIR have comment or recommendation, please do so.

Luke
--
Mounts: ES PMC-Eight G11 - upgraded with OPWB on both RA and DEC
Scopes: Televue NP127IS with HSM20 and focuser boss II - Questar field model 3.5 - Takahashi FC76 classic MC - Zeiss telementor - Lomo Astele 150mm