Re: Mounting camera to EXOS2 #EXOS2 #astrophotography

Chris Bourque

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 06:47 PM, desert frag wrote:
On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 02:06 PM, Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering wrote:
Did you watch the video included on the page I linked to our dovetail bar for mounting your DSLR on the EXOS 2?
This shows how it works
Yes and it looks easy peasy thanks :)

For someone who might be interested in something less expensive to begin with with modest equipment would this work as well?  It says Dovetail and no mention of Losmandy type.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z40WWQG/?coliid=I2I5F1WVSOZRPK&colid=1B94WRIQ7BB4J&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1
Its funny, I was going to link this as well, but decided not to, as its a little "hodge podge" for using on the ES mount. Its definitely not designed for this.

However, I actually went ahead and bought this myself, in addition to the dovetail I linked above. It works "well-enough" for my testing purposes. But its not really built for the vixen style dovetail plate adapters. This is designed for a specific quick-release system. When sitting flat, this style bar does not stand as tall as a vixen style dovetail and so will not hold your equipment above the mounting plate.

That being said, it does technically "fit". Assuming you will be offsetting your camera to balance, the length of this bar allows you to secure it in the mount without the camera bumping either the mount plate, or the tightening knobs. This has been my experience when mounting a Canon 60D with 200mm telephoto lens. It works, but I wouldn't call it optimal.