Re: Explore Scientific EXOS-2 PMC-Eight GOTO Mount illuminated polar alignment + 90 degree polar alignment

Doug Doonan

Hi Brian,
 This sounds really neat and it is like what I want to do. Some questions:
Ursa Major is the big dipper, and it is big in the sky. What part of the BD do you use to align with what part of the reticule? The reticule has a bucket shaped arrangement of little circles opposite where Polaris is, at least in my scope. Is that what you align with the bucket in the  BD?
Casseopea (sp) is on the other side of of Polaris from the BD. I don't see how you can use  one OR the other to get a  Polar alignment. If you use the BD the NCP will be to the left of Polaris. If you use CASS the NCP will be on the right side. Only one can be correct, I think.
Great method if I could understand the details.
Comments?
Doug Doonan

-----Original Message-----
To: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io
Sent: Sat, Aug 8, 2020 9:21 am
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] Explore Scientific EXOS-2 PMC-Eight GOTO Mount illuminated polar alignment + 90 degree polar alignment

Hi Doug, my modus operandi doesn't worry about putting stars in the reticle circles. I eyeball either Ursa Major OR CASS. (either will do). I then rotate the reticle of the PS carefully until the orientation of the real constellation and the reticule constellation are the same. I then physically move the mount and lat adjuster until Polaris appears in the reticule. Additional careful mount adjustment is done until Polaris is positioned in the little gap along the line marked Polaris. I then power up my mount and away I go.
Please note I am using the iEXOS100 PS, yours maybe different.

Hope that helps, Brian
--
Brian Skinner
iEXOS100
Canon 1300d dslr
Various lenses
ES Polar scope
Sequator image stacker
PIXR image editor

--

Doug Doonan
HomeBru  6 inch Reflector  f 6.6
HomeBru  85 mm Refractor  f 5.6
PMC-8, EXOS 2
Long retired EE.

Join MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.