From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io> on behalf of John Wells <jfw@...>
Sent: Sunday, August 9, 2020 9:47:31 AM
To: main@espmc-eight.groups.io <main@espmc-eight.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] Explore Scientific EXOS-2 PMC-Eight GOTO Mount illuminated polar alignment + 90 degree polar alignment

Apps like Polar Align Pro will tell you where exactly to place polaris in the reticle.
On 9 Aug 2020, at 03:25, Chuck Lewis <clewis@...> wrote:
From what I've been able to dig out, Mike Leemhuis  is correct: the four circles are for the Southern Sky. The EXOS2 is an update of the Meade LXD 75; our EXOS2  uses the same polar alignment scope and shares its instruction manual. That set of instructions  (for both mounts) does seems to leave out the note that those four stars are for the Southern Hemisphere, where Polaris is unavailable.   I initially tried to align to those, too, but was never convinced! A little digging on the 'web turned up a slick way to use the scope for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere :

http://www.thestardeckobservatory.com/Polaralign.html

This describes the "Clay's Kochab Clock" method. It uses an imaginary line between Kochab and Polaris as a reference for setting the RA prior to adjusting the azimuth and elevation controls. It's simple and quick, for those who really want or need to do a careful physical alignment. Once I got it in my brain, it made sense.

I can see Polaris but not Kochab; so I cheat a little and use one of the virtual displays available on my cellphone in order to check the angle of the line between Kochab and Polaris. I can swing the RA until the counterweight shaft aligns with what I see on my phone. It's probably not perfect, but still better than simply centering Polaris, and only takes a few minutes.

As a newbie, this feels right; but It would be great to have a real Guru declare it correct.