locked Re: Raspberry Pi

Mirko Gude

Hi Bogdan,

your input is very interesting for me.

Today I’ve made some progress. I updated my EXOS2 to the latest firmware (firmware = 6B09T17AEXOS2) . As a Macuser it was not so easy, but after preparing a Win10 Machine with VirtualBox and the very useful helper tool PMC8_ConnectionManager I got success.

I’ve used a FT232R USB UART (FTDI Chip) serial cable. After firmware update I switched to serial via terminal on the Raspberry Pi. But than I was not able to connect Kstars/Ekos over serial. With cuteCom on RPi I was not able to switch back to Wifi/TCP.

After this I’ve tried some other options (PMC8_ConnectionManager and P8-Parallax-Serial-Terminal on the virtual Windows machine and CoolTerm on the Mac). It was a little bit confusing, because after ESX! I got never the response ESX1! But never mind, at some point the Wifi connection was back again ☺ So maybe the command works in the background without showin a response.

Which cable do you use for controlling the EXOS2 via RPi4? Is it a normal one or a FTDI Chip cable?

I found also a thread about flashing the FTDI Chip cable.

Do you use a flashed cable?

And wow! 5 minutes unguided sounds really good for me. I’ve also made some attempts with QHY Polemaster and RPi4. But at the moment my results are not so good.

Thanks and best regards,
Mirko

Am 15.08.2020 um 19:42 schrieb Irimie Bogdan <bogdanirimie@...>:

Hi all,

Sorry for the late reply first of all.
I will reply to the post even people have already provided some answers.

Equipment used.

RASPI 4 with 4GB 64GB storage
Exos2
Main camera Nikon D610/Nikon D3100a
Guiding camera ZWO 120M
GPS module for Location and Time Vk-162 Glonass Navigation Works
Scopes TS420 / William Optics Spacecat

Connection Method
Serial, because reliability and old school using fdti cable.

The story:
I'm mainly a Linux user and also for me was a challenge to switch the mount to serial. You can use the  terminal to connect via serial cable and run the ESX! command to switch to the com mode.
To switch back you will need a normal serial cable not programed fdti serial cable. The issues comes when you want to upgrade the firmware. For that I have an old windows box.
Connectivity to the raspi i do via VNC from laptop because the screen is bigger on the laptop but i monitor all using my tablet. Only the polar alignment and acquisition process start i do it with the laptop.
The PA is working for me only using the guidescope/camera. Via Nikon and main scope I failed.
Good thing is that with EXOS2 and a very good polar alignment I managed to get 5 min unguided at 420 mm . Im quite happy with my choice already recommended the mount to some people.

Regards
Bogdan

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020, 08:33 Mirko Gude <mgude@...> wrote:
Hi Bogdan,

that’s very interesting, maybe you can describe some details? After some attempts with "Mac OS only“ I’ve bought a Raspberry Pi (Model 4) and it looks very promising.

How do you connect the Raspberry with the PMC8? Wifi or serial? If serial, how do you switch the PMC8 to serial with the Raspberry Pi via command line?

And it is better to connect the Raspberry Pi via VNC and control KStars/Ekos over VNC? Or do you use a second KStar/Ekos installation which is connect with the Raspberry pi? (As I understood it, this is also possible)

If you could say something about this, that would be nice!

Best regards,
Mirko

Am 08.07.2020 um 07:46 schrieb Irimie Bogdan <bogdanirimie@...>:

Hi Kent, all,

I'm also using Raspberry Pi 4 4gb with EKOS + Kstars with my  EXOS-2.
Doing all orchestration with it from polar alignment, plate solving, guiding and picture acquisition plan.
By now all is working really great.

Kind regards
Bogdan

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 9:34 PM Pavel <pavel.vondricka@...> wrote:
Hi Kent,

I am also using RaspberryPi 4 (4GB) with the Astroberry distribution
with my iExos-100. At the moment for visual observation only, but...

I also made a DIY hand controller from an Arduino, a thumb joystick and
a small LCD display, usable to adjust the telescope, slew speed,
park/unpark, aso.
I added also a database of sky objects to select and go to from the
controller. Maybe not as fancy as just using SkySafari on a phone
screen, but a bit more fun for people who like customization and DIY
projects.

Best regards,
Pavel

--