Re: UPDATED FIRMWARE NOW AVAILABLE #ExploreScientific #FIRMWARE

Jerry,

I've been out twice now, after upgrading to your latest firmware release.  My previous was fairly old, circa v13, probably.  Yes, I should have noted it.  :-(

Anyway, 9T_17 is good news, bad news for me.  The good news is that AT is now centering my target for me with just two exposures, where before it could take as much as six. Two thumbs up on the pointing fix.

The not-so-good news is that I may need to re-think my battery power, because power consumption has definitely gone up, to the point where I will probably need to increase supply for winter use.  (No, Wes, I do not want to lug a lead-acid battery :-).

You mentioned that you had increased slew current...are you sure that you didn't increase tracking current as well?

My power consumption measurement is a bit indirect - it's through my Pocket Powerbox's management app, which gives me instantaneous voltage-in and amps consumed from my Cel Pro LiFePO4 battery.  If I strip off the cameras and heaters (which consume surprisingly little power!), my minimum config is the P-box, USB hub, and PMC8+motors.  So yes, there's extra load in there from both the hub and whatever overhead the p-box imposes.

Stripped down like that, the p-box's app reports total amps consumed as varying between 0.9 and 1.4A low/high, with most readings in the 1.0 to 1.2 range.  It flickers back and forth quite actively. My recollection is that back in the day, 0.8 to 1.2 might be low/high, with most around 1.0A +-1.

It's enough to shorten my useful imaging window (staying above ~11.4 volts-in) by about an hour in summer (but still ok) and probably put me in trouble for winter, even with keeping the battery warm (and I do).

So... basically just asking you to confirm that power consumption defined in firmware for both tracking and slewing really is as intended, and a heads up for you on possible battery run time impacts.

Thx!

- Bob

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2