sticky Re: Astrophotography Done with the iEXOS-100, EXOS 2, and G11 Post your Pictures and Details! Lets Show What These Mounts Can Do. #iEXOS-100 #G11 #EXOS2 #astrophotography

Jeff Snell

Sorry Wes/everyone.  Posted last night at the end of a long day after spending an hour trying to get the image to save as a pdf.

Image was taken 31 Aug through an ES ED 80MM APO with the EXOS 2GT mount/PMC eight serial connection.  Used a Canon T5i (Spencer Camera Astro modified), Williams optics 2" field flattener and an Optolong L-Enhance Dual Narrowband Filter.  Guide scope was an Orion 50mm/Starshoot Autoguider Combo.  Used PHD2 for guiding, Astro Photography Tool for the camera control, and Cartes du Ceil for planetarium program.  All ASCOM POTH Hub linked.  Polar alignment with a QHY Polemaster.  Image Processed with Photohop, preprocessed with Deep Sky Stacker.

Gotta thank Dave Cherry for the PHD2 settings. I "benchmarked" (read copied) his PHD2 setting numbers from a recent post to settle the mount corrections down a bit.  Seems to have worked very well. His screenshot is below for anyone interested.
image.png

Also he gave me the advice on the Optolong Filter!  It made a big difference.  This shot was taken at full moon.  I took the Lagoon Neb on the same night with the moon within about 20 degrees of the target and the target about 30 degrees above the Salt Lake City/Ogden Utah horizon (think bright enough to read by!).  That one is proving a bit more challenging to clean up but still very impressed with the Optolong's influence on the image.  Link to the filter here: https://optcorp.com/products/optolong-l-enhance-filter-2?gclid=CjwKCAjwqML6BRAHEiwAdquMnfQWafigSzS-Ad5C3eNjj1Gz8gMt_aIbdiJB9bjBjcabMfk_xj-6bxoC9FIQAvD_BwE  No intent to advert Optcorp but they actually had it in stock!  I'll post the Lagoon Neb when/if I get it cleaned up.

Finally, let me say that I have found this forum VERY responsive to questions and comments.  I am not an engineer nor am I smart about any of this stuff.  I am inherently lazy so I've got that going for me.  I've learned through assimilation and direct question and answer.  The difference in my work from last year in Oct to this year is noticeable to me and this forum has been a big part of that as have a little bit of Dillon O'Donnell/Trevor Jones videos.

One quick question for anyone to weigh in on:  I am planning to purchase a ZWO dedicated astro cam in the near future and was wondering, will it make a bigger difference in my photos over the DSLR?  My guts says it will most certainly.  I am looking at an ZWO ASI 183MM Pro cooled Mono with an appropriate filter wheel.  They are finally coming back into stock.  Seems to have great reviews.  Thoughts?

Jeff

EXOS 2GT/PMC-Eight w/Explore Stars
ES ED80mm APO
Celestron 8" Edge HD
Canon Ti-5 w/ Spencer Camera Astro-mod
Williams Optics 2" Field Flattener/Optolong 2" Dual Narrowband Filter
ASCOM POTH Hub, APT, CDC, PHD2, QHY Polemaster

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 6:15 AM Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:
Jeff

That image is fantastic.  What guide scope/camera combination are you using?  What setup re: balance etc are you using.   Your guiding was neigh perfect.