Re: Recommended Polar Finder that will work with IEXOS-100 PMC-eight

Jeff Weiss <jeffweiss2131@...>

It is magnetic! I dropped it several times, be careful!

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020, 8:28 AM Mario <mario1546@...> wrote:
Jeff, that's like the coolest level I've ever seen!
Will definitely try this process out!

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 11:21 AM Jeff Weiss <jeffweiss2131@...> wrote:
I am looking for Scott's powerpoint in the forum documents, in the meanwhile I wanted to post the process I used to align my scope in the daytime.

It is easiest to do this with a digital level (or a smartphone), a small dovetail bart and a compass with a ring for adjusting magnetic deviation (or a smartphone)

Here are images of the steps.

Step 1: Set mount in Park position and level mount base any way you can in both North/south and east/west.
Step 2: Set your dial indicator to zero
Step 3: Set mount to your latitude with digital level or smart phone
Step 4: Level counterweight bar
Step 5: Level the dovetail bar
Step 6: Verify compass heading taking into account "Magnetic Deviation" (Use a compass or smartphone) with an adjustable ring to help with this.
Step 7: Verify resulting dial indication is very close to your latitude
Step 8: Mount scope wait till dark!

Something similar should work in the Southern Hemisphere.

Jeff

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 7:39 AM Mike Leemhuis <skislalom1@...> wrote:
I'm glad the polar alignment tray I designed is helping you with your rough polar alignment.  I should point out that I have a slightly different version that works just as well if you don't have a Polemaster.  It is located here:  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3120190
If you have other ideas for useful 3D printed parts to make the hobby easier, let me know.  It's always fun to design something new!

Mike Leemhuis
--
Location: Nicholasville, KY
Mount: Explore Scientific Exos-2

--
Regards,

Mario
Streetsville, Ontario

Mounts: iExos 100, Skyguider Pro
Scopes/Lenses: Main/Orion 80mm, DSLR/Tamron 18-400mm lens, guide/ZWO-340A
Computer: ASIAir
Cameras: Canon T2i DSLR, ZWO120MM (guide)
Utility Software: iPolar (for Skyguider polar alignment), iCap, Explorestars, Canon EOS Utility
Image Processing Software: Photoshop