Re: Windows 10 will not connect to my PMC-8 1856

Wes Mcdonald

Ian

Glad you are up and running.  You will find the Es pmc8 based mounts provide great value and are quite capable.  Take a look at the photo share posts on the mounts forum.  Many getting great shots, with a wide range of skills and capabilities.

The mounts provide a nicely open architecture... by employing ASCOM applications, the mount provides the precision movement needed to make things simple.

These mounts do have design trade offs which in some ways accounts for value level pricing.  But these trades are overcome largely by a bit of extra user care in setup and largely free software on the ascom side.   For example one wants to learn how to achieve polar alignment, employ guiding and get plate solving, the latter two being in someway the most important.

I cut my teeth with a Meade LX200GPS 10”, which I remain in awe of.  But for a small fraction of that price, my astrophotography experience with my exos 2 and Es 127 apo is so much better.  But to be fair the Es setup is the one I have spent the most effort with.

As I said the forum has many users, and quite a few folks who will answer your questions.  They are an enthusiastic and helpful lot.

Regards
Wes

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 11:37 AM Ian Morison <ian@...> wrote:
Dear Wes,
  thank you so much for your e-mail.  Nothing seemed to tell me the password but I tried pmc-1846 - serial number on the mount  which seemed to be accepted.   I have now tried PMC-Eight and it has connected!  I can move the mount in RA and Dec and so now have to work out how to use Explore stars to 'goto' objects.
You have some great kit!

I have no real need for this mount having 4 already up to an AstroPhysics Mach 1 but I was impressed with it: firstly being belt driven and, secondly,  the use of RA and Dec clutches just like my Losmandy GM8.
Amongst other telescopes,  a TS 66mm astrograph,  CFF Telescopes 127 mm apo refractor, Vixen 200mm VC200L (great) and Orion Optics (UK) 12 inch sub aperture Maksutov (possibly). I had an 8 inch Newtonian 50 years ago and am a retired(ish) radio astronomer.

Thanks again!

Best regards,

Ian

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 12:08 PM Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:
Ian

Welcome to the group!  There are lots of folks here that will help you get up and going.  Also you will find lots of information in the links that are on the web site.  Additionally just about every topic has been discussed and you might be able to find information through search of the forum.

The password should be PMC-Eight

Please give us the windows version and build you are using.  Also tell us what you are doing in the PC, Explorestars or ASCOM serial.

Suggest you start with explorestars.

Regards