Re: Possible defective unit #iEXOS-100 #TECHNICAL

James Ball

Mine does the same thing whether it is using ExploreStars on the Android tablet or Ascom through a wired connection.  With the motor cover removed it will pulse like the second video as soon as it is unparked.  The pulse in the gears is in perfect time with the pulse sound heard from the electronics, just like the sound in the video Jennifer posted of the controller on her G8.

With a 700mm FL scope and 25mm eyepiece you can't really see it, but with a 2000mm FL scope and 10mm eyepiece it is very evident.  It is definitely a start/stop motion in the drive motor.  Could Ascom be using the Point mode instead of Tracking mode for some reason?

As for the photography, it doesn't hurt the quality of the images when stacking an .avi file for planetary/lunar it might even help average out any dust specs on the sensor window.  I do think it is part of the problem when trying to get something like SharpCap Object Tracking to calibrate on high magnification work on planets.  I am not sure how to calculate the amplitude of the motion from the video clip, but I would imagine it is in the arc second or sub arc second range, which is probably not even noticeable in a normal guide scope used for AP.

For reference I use ASCOM 6.4 SP1-6.4.1.2695, PMC-Eight ASCOM driver revised 2019.01.07 Release Any CPU, SharpCap version 3.2.6392.0 7/28/2020, CdC Version 4.3 beta-4178-2b5ac26 2020/09/28 04:07:59  or current version of Explore Stars for Android and current newest firmware for the mount.

-- James Ball
Dawson Springs, Ky
Mounts: iEXOS-100
Scopes: Meade ETX90RA(deforked now) Sky Watcher 150MCT
Camera: ZWO ASI 120MC-S
Software: Explore Stars Android, ASCOM, Stellarium Scope, Stellarium, AS!3, SharpCap, RegiStax6.